[TN-Bird] Neo-tropical migrants

  • From: "Ella Howard" <birder3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "TN Bird List" <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 18 May 2003 15:37:59 -0500

Tn. Birders,
        Perhaps some of you would not mind responding to our concern with
information or opinions.  We are experienced birders living near South
Pittsburg, Tennessee in a cove on the eastern side of Monteagle Mountain.  We
have been members of TOS for several years.  I was President of the Chattanooga
chapter of TOS in l989 before we moved to Virginia where we lived until last
June when we returned to this area.  We continued to be active birders in
Virginia and traveled to a number of other U. S. sites for birding.  This is
just to say we are experienced in bird observation and I have kept pretty
careful records during these years.
    We live on a fairly large acreage with a long road frontage, a creek beside
the road, a large and a small field, mountainside woods and bluffs making for a
good variety of habitat.   Our house is located  on a steep hillside away from
the road and surrounded by woods.
    We are very concerned about the low number of species and the low number of
birds in the ones we have seen this year.  During the l2 years we were in
Virginia we tried to come to our house here near the first of May for several
days with one of the main purposes to keep up with the birds on our property.
Ella's mother was living in the house until the last two of those years.
    With fairly careful observation this year several of the ones we could
always count on have not been seen or heard.  Among these are Common
Yellowthroat (usually abundant), American Redstart, Bluewinged Warbler, Prairie
Warbler, Black and White Warbler, Worm-eating Warbler,
Ovenbird, Northern Parula, Cerulean, Black-throated Green,  Louisanna
Waterthrush, Whippoorwill.  During our years here we have seen almost every
warbler which can be seen in the Chattanooga area although some were very
occasional.  The first two years we were here Swainson's Warblers nested in
thickets at the bottom of our driveway.  Several birders from the Chattanooga
area came here to see them, some for a life bird.  They have not been back
since then to our knowledge.  We know about the trouble with the Ceruleans, but
a few years ago we could sit on our front porch and hear and see them.  Anyway
the ones I listed above are ones which were always certain, but not so far this
year.
    Some have done well for us:  Kentucky and Hooded Warblers, Red-Eyed Vireo,
White-Eyed Vireo, and Scarlet Tanagers, Rose-Breasted Grosbeaks.  Others are
present, but down in numbers like Indigo Buntings.  Some of them come to eat
seed we cast on the ground for ground feeders, but this year the most we have
seen at one time is three.  I remember counting 22 males on the ground at the
same time about 5 years ago.
    I know we need to do more research on where each bird migrates to know what
may be happening on their wintering grounds.  For instance, if all of our birds
did as well as the Scarlet Tanagers this year, we would be covered up!  They
are abundant this year and we have Summers too.
    It was good the other day to stand in one place and see or hear four Vireos
at the same time - R. E., W. E., Philadelphia, and Yellowl-throated.
    Anyway, we have read reports of several of our missing ones being seen in
other areas, but how are numbers?  Certainly, we have read a lot of information
on problems with both ends of migration paths, but this year seems more marked
for us.  Any comments, observations, etc would be appreciated.  We enjoy
hearing what goes on across the state.
                                                J. N. and Ella Howard
                                                 South Pittsburg, Tn.
                                                    Marion County