[TN-Bird] Nelson's Sharp-tailed Sparrow at Sharp's Ridge, Knoxville

  • From: "Charles P. Nicholson" <cpnichol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "TN-Bird Listserve" <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2003 12:26:41 -0400

Sunday, Sept. 28, 2003
Between about 1040 and 1100, Nathan Klaus, Craig Walker, Belinda Esham,
and Chuck Nicholson observed a Nelson's Sharp-tailed Sparrow on Sharp's
Ridge in Knox County.  The bird was at the southwest end of the ridge at
the end of the paved road.  As we observed it at distances as close as 8
feet, the bird moved around low in bush honeysuckle and goldenrods at
the edge of the mowed area.  The bird was first spotted by Nathan, and
all of us got good looks at it.  We first noted the broad yellow/orange
stripe over its eye and streaked back and knew it was either a
Sharp-tailed or Le Conte's Sparrow.  We eventually had good views of the
white streaks on its back, the broad gray crown patch,  the unstreaked
nape, its yellowish breast, and fairly prominent streaking on its breast
and flanks.  The bird vigorously preened and ate grass seeds while we
watched it.  We did not hear any calls from it.
The sparrow was the highlight of the morning on Sharp's Ridge.  Once the
fog burned off around 0900, the variety of other songbirds was pretty
good, with American Redstart being among the most numerous warblers.

Chuck Nicholson
Norris, TN