[TN-Bird] Nashville's Radnor Lake urgent request for funds

  • From: Rconnorsphoto@xxxxxxx
  • To: TN-Bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 24 May 2004 21:25:34 EDT

Radnor Lake State Natural Area
Nashville TN
 The Natural Area is located in a fast developing and sprawling urban
landscape. It is set in a bowl, ringed with hills and ridges, and this makes it
what
is known to us birders as a prime migrant trap. The birds dont see it so much
a trap as an oasis, and Radnor is known far and wide for great birding. The
ridges protect the inner area and the ridges are themselves prime habitat.
Ganier Ridge to the N.E., named for Albert Ganier, one of the founders of TOS,
is
certainly prime on a spring morning! The South Cove trail  winds around the
hills to the south, and is tranquil and uncrowded any day of the week.
Several years ago I showed a friend a new bird. We were on the ridge crest of
the South Cove Trail, above the lake and away from the parade of "talker
-walkers" who take advantage of the beautiful setting for their constitutional.
heard the the vireo with the distinctive "three-eight" twist to it's song, and
was able to point out the bird with it's pale yellow throat glowing in the
morning sun. My friend and I might not have heard the bird at all if there had
been the kind of developement just off the trail that is planned there now.
There are six lots adjoining this ridgeline for sale in an upscale
developement.
If developed there will be the sound of weed eaters and leaf blowers instead
of vireos to be heard!
.
Upscale means expensive and this is the problem. There is a fundraising drive
underway - any and all help is needed to secure the purchase price in time
before the contract expires. As of today, Monday May 24, we still have  almost
$80,000 to raise by end date of June 9. The Nashville chapter of TOS has
donated $5000 and individuals are giving as they can. If you and /or your group
can
possibly give to a worthy cause now is the time! TOS at the state level is
considering giving from the Conservation Fund and should be encouraged to do
so,
if there is time for action.
 The mailing address for contributions is:
                     Friends of Radnor Lake
                     P.O. Box 40324
                     Nashville TN 37204
Send donations to Friends of Radnor Lake attn. Radnor Glen purchase

Please see this web address for an article in todays Tennessean newspaper
with more details and a map.
http://www.tennessean.com/local/archives/04/05/51779558.shtml?

Richard Connors
president, NTOS