[tn-bird] Re: Nashville crow roost

  • From: john froeschauer <jdfroesch@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2002 16:22:32 -0800 (PST)

--- Frank Fekel <fekel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> In Nashville my winter drive home is normally a bit
> after sunset.  At
> that time the drive is spiced up by hundreds if not
> thousands of crows
> coming to roost.  The crows have been using the same
> roost for a number
> of years.  It is in trees next to I-40 on the west
> side of town after
> the I-40 -- 440 split and just before one arrives at
> White Bridge Road,
> a place where the traffic often slows to a crawl.
> Two weeks ago I
> was surprised to see that the roost had moved about
> a mile closer to town,
> as one drives out of town on the west side, and is
> before the I40--440
> split.  I know that roost sites change from time to
> time, but after
> seeing it in the same place for so many years it was
> still a surprise.
>
> Bellevue yard birds:
> Had a Pileated Woodpecker test some of the trees
> along the Harpeth River
> a few days ago.  Always a nice yard bird visitor.
>
> A single White-Crowned Sparrow continues to come to
> my feeders with
> the White-throats.
>

> Frank Fekel
> Tennessee State UniversityA
> Center of Excellence in Information Systems
> 330 10th Avenue North
> Nashville, TN 37203

Nashville birders,

Does anyone know the history of the West Nashville
crow roost? I imagine that development in that area is
pushing them closer to town. I used to live in Sylvan
Park and was fascinated by the numbers that wintered
there. There must be an ecological/historical
explanation.

John Froeschauer
Nashville, TN