[TN-Bird] Re: Nashville Warbler (???)

  • From: "Richard Knight" <rknight8@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "tn bird" <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2012 13:01:52 -0400

A few days back Ed Schneider posted a photo of a warbler for which he was
unsure of
the ID.  In an off-list email conversation, he said the the consensus opinion
was for
female Common Yellowthroat.  There has been no public discussion of the ID, so
I am
weighing in.

I believe it is a Nashville Warbler.
My reasoning:
1)  the head is too gray for female Com. Yellowthroat, which should be
brownish-olive.
2)  the eye-ring is a little too bold, but head color & eye-ring are right for
Nashville.
3)  the yellow underneath is too extensive & even-toned for yellowthroat, which
should
     be shaded from fairly bright in throat to dull yellow on lower breast.
4)  culmen shape appears to be straight, unlike slightly down-curved for
yellowthroat.
The amount of yellow underneath & bill shape are good for Nashville.

While Nashville Warblers in spring migration usually occur higher up in trees
than the
bird in the photo, which is in blackberry brambles, I often see fall migrant
Nashvilles
in low shrubby stuff including goldenrod & ragweed.  So habitat shouldn't be an
issue.

Photo IDs are sometimes harder than in-life IDs, since there is only one angle
per photo,
 no vocalizations or behavioral clues, etc.  However, you can stare at the
photo for as
long as you want & analyze visible details.

Apparently this would be the first summer record of a Nashville Warbler in TN,
as
Robinson (1990) lists none & I don't recall any since then.  It could be a very
late
spring migrant or, more likely, an early fall migrant (perhaps a failed
breeder) or
a wandering non-breeder.  Nashvilles do nest as far south as northern West
Virginia.

Comments welcome.

Rick Knight
Johnson City, TN