[TN-Bird] Nashville Area Birding 5-6-13

  • From: Michael Smith <ms722@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 6 May 2013 17:21:29 -0700 (PDT)

Phillip Casteel and I decided to hit up a few Davidson county hotspots on
Monday, May 6th.  We started off with mostly cloudy weather at Old Hickory
Lake, and then spent a couple of rainy hours at Radnor Lake.  The weather
cleared as we were leaving Radnor, and then we headed to Bells Bend and Beaman
Park, with a quick trip to Shelby Park to finish things off.  We ended up with
121 species, including 28 species of warblers, all the vireos, and 8 species of
shorebirds.

Some of highlights:
Both Baltimore and Orchard Oriole singing together in the same small tree at
Old Hickory dam.
Caspian Tern, Willet, and Herring Gull at Snow Bunting Peninsula
21 species of warbler at Radnor Lake including a singing Mourning along the
Lake Trail.
7 Semipalmated Plovers in the sod farm at the end of Old Hickory Blvd in Bells
Bend
A singing Henslow's Sparrow at Bells Bend (in the field directly across from
the main entrance to the park)

It was a great day to be out and about.

Mike Smith
Hendersonville, TN