[TN-Bird] Narrows of the Harpeth State Park

  • From: "Candice & Kevin" <ethden@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2009 11:35:44 -0500

Narrows of the Harpeth State Park
Cheatham County, TN

Whenever I tire of "warbler neck", I head out to the Narrows of the Harpeth.
This is about the best place I know of in Middle Tennessee to actually look
at eye-level or even down-on those pesky tree-top birds you can often hear,
but rarely see.

Think NORTHERN PARULA. I must have had a dozen singing males and did I ever
get good looks at them. It is always a thrill to see the back or top of this
bird. Other birds I saw on an equal footing were several YELLOW-THROATED
WARBLERS, a singing SUMMER TANAGER in the foreground and a SCARLET TANAGER
in the back ground- through my binoculars at the same time. A RUBY-THROATED
HUMINGBIRD sipped nectar in the Fire Pinks at my feet and there was a male
ROSE-BREASTED GROSBEAK I feel I could have reached out to touch. There were
numerous singing INDIGO BUNTINGS.  A Flycatcher at first mystified me even
though it was calling repeatedly. The sound I heard was the "pyew" call that
Sibley describes as a call the ACADIAN FLYCATCHER can make during migration.

I totaled 11 warbler species, I including a WORM-EATING WARBLER that paused
for a few seconds on a branch directly in front of me at eye level. But was
surprised I did not hear a single Tennessee Warbler as I've heard them
pretty consistently for a couple days in my yard and elsewhere.

Here's what I observed:

Black Vulture

Turkey Vulture

Mourning Dove

Ruby-throated Hummingbird

Belted Kingfisher

Red-bellied Woodpecker

Pileated Woodpecker

Acadian Flycatcher

Eastern Phoebe

Great Crested Flycatcher

White-eyed Vireo

Yellow-throated Vireo

Red-eyed Vireo

Blue Jay

American Crow

Northern Rough-winged Swallow

Carolina Chickadee

Tufted Titmouse

Carolina Wren

Blue-gray Gnatcatcher

Cedar Waxwing

Blue-winged Warbler

Yellow-rumped Warbler

Yellow-throated Warbler

Palm Warbler

Cerulean Warbler

Prothonotary Warbler

Worm-eating warbler

Louisiana Waterthrush

Common Yellowthroat

Yellow-breasted Chat

Summer Tanager

Scarlet Tanager

Filed Sparrow

White-throated Sparrow

Northern Cardinal

Rose-breasted Grosbeak

Indigo Bunting

Eastern Meadowlark (heard in the distance)

Brown-headed Cowbird

I believe Narrow of the Harpeth is one of the Field Trips planned this
weekend for the NTOS meeting in Nashville. It would make a good choice
provided you are not subject to acrophobia!

Kevin Bowden

Nashville, TN

                       MAP RESOURCES