[TN-Bird] NW Tennessee ramblings (long)

  • From: "Mark Greene" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "greenesnake@xxxxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: Tn Bird List <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2014 08:02:09 -0700 (PDT)

I've been making a few rounds about the Northwest Tennessee counties of Lake,
Dyer, Gibson, and Obion over the last several days and I'm just now getting a
chance to sit down and type up my findings.

Thursday, April 24

Walnut Log Road, Obion County

A few species of note including the following: Great Crested Flycatcher, Summer
Tanager, Scarlet Tanager, White-eyed Vireo (numerous), Yellow-throated Vireo,
Red-eyed Vireo, Warbling Vireo, Blue-winged Warbler (FOS), Prothonotary Warbler
(dozens), Tennessee Warbler, Common Yellowthroat, N. Parula (common), Yellow
Warbler, Chestnut-sided Warbler, Indigo Bunting.

Keystone Pocket, Reelfoot Lake, Lake County
Ruddy Duck - 54 (most in breeding plumage)
Common Loon - 1
Ring-billed Gull - 3

Friday, April 25

Moss Island WMA, Dyer County
In a large pool on the Great River Road, just north of the entrance to the WMA:
Greater Yellowlegs - 23
Willet (western) - 1 (FOS)
Lesser Yellowlegs - 35
Black-necked Stilt - 3 (FOS)

Boothspoint, Dyer County
Baltimore Oriole - 5 (FOS)
Solitary Sandpiper - 1 (FOS)
Fish Crow - 8

White Lake Refuge, Dyer County
Several ducks including Wood Duck, Gadwall, Mallard, Blue-winged Teal, N.
Shoveler, and Green-winged Teal. Also American Coots.
Snowy Egret - 1 (FOS), also lots of Great Blue Herons and Great Egrets
Black-necked Stilt - 1
Solitary Sandpiper - 34
Greater Yellowlegs - 42
Lesser Yellowlegs - 56
Pectoral Sandpiper - 14

Ridgely Lagoon, Lake County
Ring-necked Duck - 6

Black Bayou Refuge (South Unit / Handicapped Hunting area), Lake County
Hooded Merganser - adult female with 2 young
Pied-billed Grebe - 1
American Coot - 34
There were no other rail species heard or seen nor did I locate any bitterns. I
imitated Least Bittern calls periodically the entire time I was there and never
got one response.

Black Bayou Refuge (Phillipy Unit), Lake County
Virginia Rail - 1, calling
Sora - 2, calling
Greater Yellowlegs - 2
Wilson's Snipe - 2

Mt. Orange, Gibson County
Barn Owl - 1

Sunday, April 27

Mt. Orange, Gibson County
Barred Owl - 1

Monday, April 28

Moss Island WMA, Dyer County
Green Heron - 1 (FOS)
Snowy Egret - 1, plus lots of Great Egrets and Great Blue Herons
Double-crested Cormorant - 1
Lots of Greater and Lesser Yellowlegs and a few Solitary Sandpipers were the
only shorebirds present.

White Lake Refuge, Dyer County
Waterfowl - Gadwall, Hooded Merganser, Mallard, Blue-winged Teal, and N.
Shoveler
Shorebirds - numbers down from Friday, water levels up. Still present - Greater
Yellowlegs (6), Lesser Yellowlegs (12), Solitary Sandpiper (10).
Indigo Bunting - didn't have any on Friday, but 20+ were present on Monday.

Jct. of Hwy. 79 and Great River Road, Lake County
Canada Goose - 2 adults with 4 young

Levee Road near Mud Lake, Lake County
Bobolink - 45 (FOS)
Dickcissel - 6 (FOS)

Robinson Bayou Road, Lake County
Spotted Sandpiper - 1
Solitary Sandpiper - 1
Greater Yellowlegs - 5
Lesser Yellowlegs - 3
Long-billed Dowitcher - 7
Short-billed Dowitcher - 1
American Pipit - 30
Savannah sparrow - 6
Grasshopper Sparrow - 1 (FOS)

Hampton Road, Lake County
Solitary Sandpiper - 3
Lesser Yellowlegs - 3
Upland Sandpiper - 1
Pectoral Sandpiper - 5
Savannah Sparrow - 30

Wynnburg, Lake County
Greater Yellowlegs - 16
Lesser Yellowlegs - 24
Pectoral Sandpiper - 12
Long-billed Dowitcher - 3
American Kestrel - 1

Argo Road, Ridgely, Lake County
Greater Yellowlegs - 13
Lesser Yellowlegs - 21
Dunlin - 2
Pectoral Sandpiper - 6
Long-billed Dowitcher - 10
Short-billed Dowitcher - 2

Buck Wade Loop, Gibson County
Upland Sandpiper - 1
Eastern Kingbird - 12
The fields in the bottom were flooded and hordes of swallows were feeding over
the flooded fields - I had all the expected swallows (N. Rough-winged, Purple
Martin, Tree, Barn, and Cliff) except Bank.
Sedge Wren - 1
Palm Warbler - 3
Yellow Warbler - 1
Lincoln's Sparrow - 1
Indigo Bunting - 5
Bobolink - 3

Mt. Orange, Gibson County
Cedar Waxwing - 12
Magnolia Warbler - 1
Yellow Warbler - 1
Palm Warbler - 7
Yellow-rumped Warbler - 6
Grasshopper Sparrow - 1
Still have lingering White-throated Sparrows and White-crowned Sparrows at the
feeders. They'll probably hang around for another 10-14 days.
Rose-breasted Grosbeak - 2, males
Blue Grosbeak - 1, male
Indigo Bunting -1, male

Migration is in full swing, get out and enjoy it!

Good birding!

Mark Greene
Mt. Orange (3 miles west of Trenton)
Gibson County