[TN-Bird] NW TN - land of a 1000 (temporary) lakes

  • From: Mark Greene <greenesnake@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 14 May 2009 14:44:55 -0700 (PDT)

May 13-14, 2009
NW Tennessee (Dyer, Lake, and Obion Counties)

I've been all over the 3 counties listed above in the last couple of days and
the theme was water everywhere but not much else! Shorebirds were especially at
a premium and were very hard to find despite the acres and acres of flooded
fields. Actually it was probably partly because of the acres & acres of flooded
fields. Also with the strong southerly winds over the last couple of days a lot
of birds probably flew right over west Tennessee without stopping.

Here are a few birds of note and the dates & locations that I found them:

Mud Lake, Lake County (it truly is a lake right now!)
Wednesday, May 13

There were at least a couple of hundred Great Egrets feeding here and I also
found my FOS Snowy Egret. Several Cattle Egrets were also in the vicinity. I
also had my FOS Least Terns here with a couple feeding out over the lake. Fish
Crows were everywhere and I must have had over a hundred while driving near the
levee in Lake County and down the Great River Road.

Great River Road, Lake & Dyer Counties
Wednesday, May 13

One of my target birds for the day was seen along the Great River Road near the
Dyer Co./Lake Co. line when I spotted an Olive-sided Flycatcher sitting high up
in the dead branches of a Cottonwood tree.

Three Rivers WMA, Obion Co.
Thursday, May 14

The fields here near the Obion River have been flooded for the last several
days and the water is finally starting to drop a bit. I had 4 Black-necked
Stilts feeding in the waters here today for the ONLY shorebirds besides
Killdeer that I saw in the last 2 afternoons!

Also I forgot to post that last Thursday, May 7th I had a Merlin on Jenkins
Road east of Union City. It was being chased and harrassed by a pair of
Killdeer that were nesting nearby. I also had a couple of Solitary Sandpipers
in a flooded field off of Reelfoot Ave. in Union City.

Hopefully as the waters continue to recede there will be many mudflats for the
shorebirds to use on their journey north.

Good birding,

Mark Greene
Trenton, TN
Gibson County