[TN-Bird] NW TN birding

  • From: Mark Greene <greenesnake@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2013 06:36:28 -0800 (PST)

I've been out and about in NW TN several times in the last week. Here are the
highlights:

Tuesday, December 3
E. Crockett Road, Obion Co.

I had a flock of Western Meadowlarks fly across the road and they immediately
gave me the impression that they were Western Meadowlarks (pale overall color,
slower wing beats). They landed out in the field and I put the scope on them
and sure enough, all 5 were Western Meadowlarks (FOS).

In the same general area I also had:

Red-tailed Hawk - 16 (8 in the air at once)
Northern Harrier - 12
Killdeer - 300+ in one field but no other shorebirds

Friday, December 6
Gibson County Lake, Gibson County

Common Loon - 1
Bald Eagle - 1
Bonaparte's Gull - 5
Ring-billed Gull - 3

Monday, December 9
Hop-In Refuge, Obion County

Sandhill Crane - 3
I had a mixed flock of sparrows feeding by the gate of the refuge. I watched
for several minutes and had Field, White-throated, White-crowned, Song, Swamp,
Savannah, Fox (2), juncos, and a single Vesper Sparrow. Also in the flock were
a pair of E. Bluebirds, a Yellow-rumped Warbler, and over 100 American
Goldfinches. No other finches or siskins were seen in the flock.

Brooks Road, Obion County

42 Sandhill Cranes were feeding out in a corn stubble field.

Rives-Mt. Pelia Road (Hwy. 216), Obion County

In a puddle beside the road there were 13 Wilson's Snipe and a couple of
American Pipits.

Garrett Sawmill Road, Obion County

Western Meadowlark - 2 were seen with Eastern Meadowlarks.

Hwy. 45 (just north of Kenton), Obion County

Over 300 Sandhill Cranes were feeding out in a corn stubble field.

No Snowy Owls were sighted despite looking at over a dozen white plastic bags
and jugs out in the fields! :)

Good birding,

Mark Greene
Trenton, TN