[TN-Bird] NW TN Habitat Great But........

  • From: "Ken Leggett" <kcleggett@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Jul 2003 22:41:15 -0500

Yesterday Glen Criswell and I birded in Dyer,  Lake, Obion Counties in
Tennessee  and Fulton  County in Kentucky and today my wife Betty and I
covered many of the same locations.

At Black Bayou we checked but did not find the Bell's Vireo.  However, it
was the afternoon and did not stay but 20 minutes. Habitat was good for
shorebirds but we did not see any. The level at Black Bayou had been lowered
and was perfect for shorebirds.

Habitat is great.  Island 13 has very good pools with fairly shallow smooth
sides.  Glen and I found no shorebirds there yesterday.  Today, Betty and I
had a White-rumped Sandpiper and 3 Caspian Terns.

At the backside of Mud Lake today we had a single Least Sandpiper and 4
Black-necked Stilts.

There were 5 Black-necked Stilts just south of 103 and Great River Road in
an area that was dry before the Monday rain.  There was one Stilt north of
103 and 4 between mile marker 19 and 18 on Great River Road.

There is a colony of Cliff Swallows nesting below the bridge on Highway 104
that crosses the Obion River in Dyer County.

There were over a hundred White Pelicans in White Lake and still about 7-8
Black-crowned Night Herons. Last week Nancy Moore and I had a single
Immature Yellow-crowned Night Heron at 103 and GRR.

The habitat in this area is ready for a good find.

Ken Leggett
Dyersburg, TN 38024