[TN-Bird] NW TN, 8/23/10

  • From: "Michael & Rebecca Todd" <birder1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2010 13:38:11 -0500

8/23/2010
NW TN (Dyer, Lake, Obion Co)
I had to be in Memphis yesterday morning, so had planned to bird around there
some for the first time this fall. But, Jeff was able to get away and scouted
it out for me, and had practically no birds, so I headed north. I drove up and
got on the Great River Rd at the south end of Dyer Co. Habitat is practically
nonexistent in this area. The only water is in bar pits. I did find one pit
south of Hwy 104 with some exposed mud along the edges. Here were several
Killdeer, Least, Spotted, and a nice juv. Short-billed Dowitcher.

Looking out from Tiptonville Bar, with not a slip of sand visible in either
direction, produced only Least Terns and hordes of Swallows (mostly Bank, Tree,
and Rough-winged). Scanning Reelfoot also produced only gobs of Least Terns,
Great Egrets, and DC Cormorants.

Without doubt, the highlight of the day was Jolly's Landing, just outside of
Titponville in Lake Co. This area is perfect for shorebirds right now, with
about 1000 birds present, with 11 species. Most were Least of course, but lots
of young Semi Sandpipers (and a few adults). I was surprised to have a couple
of dozen Pectoral's, since Jeff has been getting very few in Memphis. All but
one were adults though. A few young Western, a handful of Spotted, Solitary,
Lesser Yellowlegs, Semi Plovers and two each of juv. Stilt Sandpiper and
Short-billed Dowitcher. I got some decent, long-range shots of the young
Dowitchers, which I really enjoy looking at.

After leaving here, I drove up the levee to see if I could find the Avocets
that have been around in Fulton Co, KY. Thanks to Nancy, I was able to find
them, and get some poor late afternoon looks at them in their distant wet spot.
All 4 were still there. I made a brief search for the Inca Dove in the same
general area, with no luck. Also went by the lake west of Woodland Mills that
Mark mentioned a few days ago. I've never been to that spot, and there were
still lots of shorebirds using the exposed areas. Had hoped for Baird's all
day, and especially here since Mark had them here, but no luck. Quite a few
Pectorals here as well though, along with Least, Semi Sands, Lesser Yellowlegs,
Spotted and Solitary.

It is a terrible season for shorebirds in this end of the state. Between the
Mississippi staying up much later than normal and eliminating the sandbar
habitat, the lack of rain, very few managed shorebird areas, these birds have
practically nowhere to use here right now. Hopefully something will give
shortly one way or the other, and also KY Lake should start coming down soon to
give the later season birds a chance.

I've posted a few photos of late, nothing exciting though. If interested, the
gallery is:
http://www.pbase.com/mctodd/fall_2010

Good Birding!!

Mike Todd