[TN-Bird] NW TN 8/23/03

  • From: "Todd, Michael C." <michael.c.todd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2003 06:53:44 -0500

8/23/03
NW TN
Lake/Dyer Co.
I decided to bird most of the day before working all night (12 hours
birding, 2 hours sleep, then 12 hours work= TIRED) and I will say it was
worth the effort, although it's been a long night. I met Ken & Betty Leggett
and Glen Criswell for some birding along the river. We began on Island 13
with great conditions for late August, although it would get HOT later in
the day. Island 13 had good numbers of birds, although  no rarities. It's
always a treat to get those up-close and personal looks at juvenile Semi and
Western Sands from only a few feet away. A couple of Stilt Sandpipers helped
liven things up as well. Dabblers were well represented with good numbers of
Blue-winged Teal, Shovelers, and Mallards, with a few Green-winged Teal and
Pintail thrown in for good measure.

After leaving 13 we birded several other stops including Bogota, Hwy 103,
and Hwy 79. I cut my part of the day off at 14:00, by which time we had 13
species of shorebirds, best being a very worn American Golden-Plover off of
the Great River Rd, great looks at two gorgeous juvenile Short-billed
Dowitchers off of Hwy 103, Stilt Sandpipers several locations, and good
numbers of Black-necked Stilts. I'm sure Ken will provide more details with
their weekend totals. As Jeff mentioned in Memphis, the Semi's and Western's
are largely juvenile birds, although a worn adult Semi Sand was in the mix
on Island 13.

After parting company, I checked a couple of other sandbars on the way home,
and found one of the birds I was looking for, a single Ruddy Turnstone
methodically pecking around below some rip-rap. I had hoped for Baird's or
Buffies on the day, with no luck. Caspian, Least, and a few Black Terns were
scattered about on most sandbars of any size.

The other highlight was when scanning the tops of dead snags finally paid
off with my 1st Olive-sided Flycatcher of the season just outside
Tiptonville. By this time it was HOT, and I'm not sure who was panting more,
me or the Olive-sided.

Good birding!!

Mike Todd
McKenzie, TN