[TN-Bird] Re: NW TN 12/03/04 Correction about Smith's Field!!

  • From: OLCOOT1@xxxxxxx
  • To: birder1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 5 Dec 2003 01:02:52 EST

Old Mat Fields
Lake Co.
Cates, TN
Lauderdale Waterfowl Refuge
Lauderdale Co. TN
Mike,

This past weekend, I visited the Smith's Field at Cates and walked over the
area. Unfortunately, the very late mowing of a very limited area was too
little, too late.

Thanks to Nancy Moore for her persistency in talking to the county officials
and finally getting the high grass mowed but as always bureaucracy runs slow.
The Aristida had grown longer than usual in trying to get its head above the
taller grasses as they grew through late summer. In the good years the area was
hayed and this was done earlier in the year rather than just a bush hogging.
Because of the Aristida's taller growth, this late mowing destroyed most of
the seeds, which are sparse to began with anyway. I had talked to Nancy through
the late summer and early fall about the field and it was a great effort on
her part. I do appreciate her effort and also appreciate the people that took
the time to do the limited but late bush hogging.

I might expect a few Smith's to drop in and spend a little time but probably
not any numbers would be expected to stay for any period as before. Last year
a couple of birds spent a few days in the area even though the grass was not
mown at all and that let the taller grasses get a better foothold in this poor
soil. Birds come back expecting to find the same habitat just as moths to a
candle. Aristida likes poor soil and shorter competition. Smith's like Aristida
and shorter habitat so there are fewer surprises from predators. They don't
like to feed surrounded by taller grass, just like most shorebirds, open is
better.

I had watched this field develop for quite a few years before there was
enough habitat and grass to support wintering Smith's Longspurs. In Memphis,
after
finding the birds after many years absence here in TN, that habitat was
destroyed by progress a couple of years later, but a few birds returned for a
short
period and then one bird for a couple of years and then none. I am watching a
few more fields in west TN that show potential. Some where around here there
are Smith's looking for a home. We just have to do a lot more searching.

Hopefully, before they develop the old Mat Field at Cates Landing, maybe they
will go back to just a regular and timely haying of the area and we can enjoy
the Smith's experience again.

I did find a few Lapland Longspurs in three different areas in Lake Co. on
Sunday. Also there were 16 species of waterfowl at the Lauderdale Waterfowl
Refuge in Lauderdale Co.

Good Birding!!!

Jeff R. Wilson
OL'COOT / TLBA