[TN-Bird] NTOS Wednesday Morning Walk Results, 22 April

  • From: "Candice & Kevin" <ethden@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2009 14:05:17 -0500

Radnor Lake State Natural Area
Nashville-Davidson Co. TN

Twenty-five birders started off this morning from the West Parking Lot at
Radnor Lake State Natural Area in search of the 12 warbler species --among
others-- that Jan Shaw had reported yesterday. We got 'em.  Several Hooded
Warblers and a Prothonotary along the road were the most cooperative of the
warblers. But we also got some interesting glimpses of a Broad-winged Hawk,
a Northern Shoveler (swimming with a Mallard), a Great Crested Flycatcher,
and our first look at a male Rose-breasted Grosbeak for the season, which
had first alerted us by its "hick" call, which always reminds me of tennis
shoes squeaking on a shiny, polished gym floor. While not everyone was able
to stay for the whole morning, a group of the hard core finally made it back
to the starting point just shy of 12:00 noon. The 54 species we observed are
as follows:

Canada Goose

Wood Duck

Mallard

Northern Shoveler

Pied-billed Grebe

Great Blue Heron

Green Heron

Turkey Vulture

Broad-winged Hawk

Red-tailed Hawk

Chimney Swift

Ruby-throated Hummingbird

Red-bellied Woodpecker

Downy Woodpecker

Pileated Woodpecker

Eastern Phoebe

Great Crested Flycatcher

White-eyed Vireo

Yellow-throated Vireo

Red-eyed Vireo

Blue Jay

Tree Swallow

Northern Rough-winged Swallow

Barn Swallow

Carolina Chickadee

Tufted Titmouse

White-breasted Nuthatch

Carolina Wren

Ruby-crowned Kinglet

Blue-gray Gnatcatcher

Eastern Bluebird

American Robin

European Starling

Cedar Waxwing

Blue-winged Warbler

Orange-crowned Warbler

Nashville Warbler

Northern Parula

Yellow-rumped Warbler

Black-throated Green Warbler

Yellow-throated Warbler

Palm Warbler

Cerulean Warbler

Prothonotary Warbler

Louisiana Waterthrush

Hooded Warbler

Scarlet Tanager

Eastern Towhee

White-throated Sparrow

Northern Cardinal

Rose-breasted Grosbeak

Common Grackle

Brown-headed Cowbird

American Goldfinch

Our next walk is scheduled for Wednesday 29 April at 7:30 am in the West
Parking lot in front of the Visitor Center. All are welcome.

Kevin Bowden

Nashville, TN

                       MAP RESOURCES