[TN-Bird] NTOS Radnor Lake Wednesday walk results.

  • From: Kevin Candice <ethden@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2010 16:26:06 -0500

Radnor Lake State Natural Area
Nashville-Davidson Co. TN
About ten birders participated in the first of the Fall 2010 weekly walks at
Radnor Lake this morning. We had seven warbler species including very good
and long looks at a brilliant male AMERICAN REDSTART by the Long Bridge. We
also got good looks at both WARBLING VIREO and PHILADELPHIA VIREO at about
the same time in good sunlight along the dam. On the return from Long Bridge
to the West Parking lot we caught sight of a thrush. We spent several
minutes trying to get a good look at the bird in the dense vegetation as it
moved about. Our suspicions that it was a GRAY-CHEEKED THRUSH were confirmed
when the bird made several call notes confirming its identity. And the
"Whoa!" moment occurred when a BARRED OWL sped past us just over our heads
and landed in a low nearby tree where he subsequently spent as much time
observing us was we did him.

Below is a complete tally of species observed.

We will meet again next Wednesday, 22 September at 7:30am in the West
Parking Lot. All are welcome.

Number of species: 35

Wood Duck 20
Great Blue Heron 1