[TN-Bird] NTOS Radnor Lake Wednesday Walk results

  • From: "Candice & Kevin" <ethden@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Oct 2009 21:05:04 -0500

Radnor Lake State Natural Area
Nashville-Davidson County, TN

The weather and the birds came together for us today for the weekly walk at
Radnor Lake sponsored by the Nashville Chapter of TOS. In fact, we almost
didn't get out of the parking lot where we gathered as the bird activity was
so good. There, a pair of Baltimore Orioles showed off in the brilliant
morning sun. A fast flying accipiter, which was most likely a Sharp-shinned
Hawk, buzzed overhead. As for Vireos, it was the Philadelphia Story as we
saw four of this species once we did get underway. Twelve warbler species
kept us busy and did not fail to give most of us a good case of warbler
neck. Half way around the lake, some participants continued with their
course around the lake, while others decided to retrace their steps to the
starting point; the latter were rewarded with a look at a Bald Eagle.

Number of species:     42

Canada Goose
Wood Duck
Great Blue Heron
Bald Eagle
Sharp-shinned Hawk
Chimney Swift
Red-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker
Downy Woodpecker
Eastern Wood-Pewee
Yellow-throated Vireo
Philadelphia Vireo
Blue Jay
American Crow
Carolina Chickadee
Tufted Titmouse
White-breasted Nuthatch
Carolina Wren
Ruby-crowned Kinglet
Eastern Bluebird
Swainson's Thrush
American Robin
Gray Catbird
Cedar Waxwing
Tennessee Warbler
Northern Parula
Chestnut-sided Warbler
Magnolia Warbler
Yellow-rumped Warbler
Black-throated Green Warbler
Blackburnian Warbler
Bay-breasted Warbler
Black-and-white Warbler
American Redstart
Common Yellowthroat

Blue-winged Warbler

Scarlet Tanager
Northern Cardinal
Rose-breasted Grosbeak
Common Grackle

Baltimore Oriole
American Goldfinch

We'll have another walk next Wednesday, 14 October at 7:30am. We meet in the
West Parking Lot. All are welcome.

Kevin Bowden

Nashville, TN

                       MAP RESOURCES