[TN-Bird] Re: NTOS Radnor Lake Walk Results

  • From: Ed Schneider <ed.schneider@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Kevin Bowden <bnabirder@xxxxxxxxx>, tn bird <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 May 2012 12:45:40 -0500

Good to see you all, if only in passing this morning. To add to the list, we
had a very vocal CANADA WARBLER on our way back down the road towardthe parking
lot near the creek. Also of note, we watched a pair of ACADIAN FLYCATCHERS in a
possible mating dance for several minutes. They wouldfly upwards from a low
perch "beak-to-beak" in a slow, deliberate ascension, only to separate briefly
and pair back up next to each other on another perch.Repeat, etc, etc...
This location is within a 25 yard radius of the nest that hangs over the road,
just before the first "gravel" section as one walks up the hill towards the
lake,from the West (Visitor Center) parking lot. The tree hangs over the road
from the right (west) side as you walk up the hill... it's a fun challenge to
find, evenwhen I know where it is!!! Photo attached.
Any thoughts about these types of displays being mating or territory related?
Also, walking along the road on the SW side of the Lake just before the first
"landslide", we heard (what seemed like) several BLACKPOLL WARBLERS (could have
been the same bird, sallying high above us and traveling in the same direction).
Looking forward to seeing friends and meeting new ones this weekend,
Ed SchneiderDavidson Co.

Date: Wed, 16 May 2012 12:17:15 -0500
Subject: [TN-Bird] NTOS Radnor Lake Walk Results
From: bnabirder@xxxxxxxxx
To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Radnor Lake State Natural AreaNashville-Davidson Co. TN16 May 2012 The last of
this year's Spring 2012 walks at Radnor Lake sponsored by the Nashville Chapter
of TOS took place in brilliant sunshine and seasonably warm temperatures. While
the birding was a bit slow, we did get good looks at a BLACKBURNIAN WARBLER in
the parking lot before we got underway and we got a fine look at a MAGNOLIA
WARBLER. A male SUMMER TANAGER stayed low to the ground lake side so that we
all got a good view. But no doubt the highlight, perhaps a bit gruesome, was
watching a BARRED OWL swoop down to catch a large frog and carry it off to an
exposed branch where the bird gave us quite a frog anatomy lesson as it pulled
its prey apart.

 Thanks to all who participated this spring and a special thank you Susan
Hollyday, who always keeps an accurate checklist for the group, and to Scott
Block who filled in on three occasions to keep the group on track and who
forwards the results to the Radnor Lake staff each week.

 Here's a recap of today's walk:
43 species  Canada Goose  12
Wood Duck  17
Mallard  3