[TN-Bird] NTOS Field Trip results

  • From: "Candice & Kevin" <ethden@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 17 Jul 2010 19:44:33 -0500

Murfreesboro Area
Rutherford County/Wilson County, TN

Saturday 17 July 2010

Thanks to Terry Witt, who showed us some great birding hotspots today around
the Murfreesboro area, the Field Trip sponsored by the Nashville chapter of
TOS was a great success. We started at the Discovery Center in Murfreesboro,
where we immediately saw two YELLOW-CROWNED NIGHT-HERONS at very close
range. A GRAY CATBIRD flew into a nearby tree and sang. Once underway we
stopped to see and hear two EURASIAN COLLARED DOVES. The real fun began
outside of town when we pulled over for excellent looks at a SCISSOR-TAILED
FLYCATCHER that was perched along a fence. As if we could not see it well
enough, it flew up to a wire to give us a better perspective. At the same
spot we spied a hovering AMERICAN KESTREL. Further along just a the road's
edge and almost close enough to touch was a pair of RED-HEADED WOODPECKERS.
We did not even need binoculars for these two. When they finally took off we
were reminded just how much white can be seen on this bird. Later we got one
of the best views possible of a GRASSHOPPER SPARROW sitting atop a bale of
hay. It sang while perched-- first facing one way, then the other. Nearby we
also observed a DICKCISSELL. We proceeded on and in a field with a tiny pond
that hosted a GREEN HERON, we got great looks at two LARK SPARROWS as they
perched on a fence.

Here's a list of all 53 species observed:

Canada Goose  1

Wood Duck  15

Mallard 4

Wild Turkey 10

Great Blue Heron 1

Green Heron 1

Yellow-crowned Night-Heron  2

Black Vulture 4

Turkey Vulture 6

Red-tailed Hawk 1

American Kestrel 3

Killdeer 1

Rock Pigeon 1

Eurasian Collared-Dove 2

Mourning Dove 12

Chimney Swift 7

Red-headed Woodpecker 2

Eastern Wood-Pewee 1

Eastern Phoebe 2

Eastern Kingbird 6

Scissor-tailed Flycatcher 1

White-eyed Vireo 1

Blue Jay 2

American Crow 30

Purple Martin 15

Barn Swallow 14

Carolina Chickadee 2

Tufted Titmouse 1

Carolina Wren 3

House Wren 1

Blue-gray Gnatcatcher 1

Eastern Bluebird 2

American Robin 4

Gray Catbird 1

Northern Mockingbird 5

Brown Thrasher 1

European Starling 50

Common Yellowthroat 2

Yellow-breasted Chat 2

Eastern Towhee 5

Chipping Sparrow 4

Field Sparrow 4

Lark Sparrow 2

Grasshopper Sparrow 1

Summer Tanager 2

Northern Cardinal 7

Blue Grosbeak 2

Indigo Bunting 7

Dickcissel  1

Eastern Meadowlark 2

House Finch 5

American Goldfinch 5

House Sparrow 7

Thanks to all who participated and thanks again, Terry!

Kevin Bowden

Linda Kelly

Nashville, TN