[TN-Bird] NTOS Field Trip Results

  • From: Kevin Bowden <bnabirder@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 4 Jun 2011 14:29:21 -0500

Long Hunter State Park-Couchville Lake
Hermitage-Davidson County TN
Saturday 04 June 2011
.
Thirteen birders participated in today's Field Trip sponsored by the
Nashville Chapter of TOS. Despite the warm weather, the morning turned out
to be good. The PRONOTHOTARY WARBLERS were a little shy at first; we could
hear them, but not see them. Finally, they gave up and and at least two let
us have some good long views at close range. Also cooperative were two
YELLOW-THROATED VIREOS spotted at eye level and again at close range amongst
some dead branches. It was a treat two see these two birds as this species
is heard more often than seen. One appeared to be carrying nesting material.
The nests of two other species were actually spotted- that of a pair of
EASTERN KINGBIRDS, and a relatively large nest upon which sat a BLUE GRAY
GNATCATCHER.

The fussing of several birds alerted us to two BARRED OWLS as they flew
close by through the trees. We heard three YELLOW-BILLED CUCKOOS, and one
landed in a nearby tree just long enough for some of the group to see it
well. A male a SUMMER TANAGER cooperated in a similar manner.

The PURPLE MARTINS were seen as we wrapped up our walk. As we were driving
off a RED-SHOULDERED HAWK was spotted.

Thanks to all who participated.

Number of species:     36

Canada Goose     11