[TN-Bird] Re: N. Bobwhites, Hampton, TN/TN bird book?

  • From: Dthomp2669@xxxxxxx
  • To: AHoodedWarbler@xxxxxxx, tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 5 Jul 2005 15:28:32 EDT

So glad you got to see the bobwhite which seem to be increasingly few in TN.
My starlings have the voice down so "pat" now that it sounds exactly the same
as the bobwhites with which I grew up seeing and hearing during my youth in
Florida BEFORE the starling had invaded that state.  I hesitate to even think
about "ID-ing" any bird a bobwhite by call alone since it usually turns out to
be one of my starlings.

By the way, has anyone seen the book on birds in Tennessee written by a
person whose name I don't remember how to spell but looks as if it would be
pronounced the same as a popular Mexican imbibement made from the blue agave
and is a
major component of the Marguerita?  I had a glimpse of the book today when I
went to buy bird seed, but was in so big a hurry to finish errands that I had
little time to peruse it carefully.  I was told the book is selling very well
as TN birders are really hungry for a book specifically on the birds in this
state, and it is "thought" that the author is from Maine or Massachusetts.  Has
anyone reviewed it or looked at it thoroughly enough to post an opinion?
Anyone know the author?

Happy birding, and I hope everyone had a fabulous Fourth of July.

Dee Thompson
Nashville, TN