[TN-Bird] My Mocking Bird

  • From: likebird@xxxxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2013 10:21:09 -0500 (EST)

Birders,
Finally, I, by accident, have partially solved the Starling problem in my yard.
 I had some apples that had been in the fridge a little longer than they should
have been so I halved them and placed them on the rail of my deck.  I had
noticed the Mocking bird had been eating from the suet basket and I know they
like apples or any fruit for that matter.  I've had trouble all winter with
masses of Starlings gobbling everyting they can get bills on.  I caught a flash
of two birds trying to kill each other and came closer to discover the Mocker
had taken on the Starling.  That one left and another appeared.  This time the
Mocker made an ariel attack on the Starling and knocked him to the ground.
This went on all day.  The next day, I looked out to see what was happening and
there sat the Mocking Bird calmly eating his apple and no Starlings anywhere in
sight!  This has been going on for several days now -I am out of apples-
an d I am just wondering how long this will last.  The Mock er is king of the
seed cake and the apples.  This all seems just too easy  but I am about to go
to the grocery and buy a big bag of apples!
Linda V. Kelly
Hixson, TN
Hamilton Co