[TN-Bird] Murfree Spring Wetlands - Creeper & Green-winged Teal

  • From: Daniel Estabrooks <hyla514@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2011 13:38:51 -0800 (PST)

Found a nice flock of foraging birds at the wetland today, which included at
least one Brown Creeper. (I think there were two, but I never saw both of them
at the same time, so I couldn't be sure.) The two female Green-winged Teal I
saw a couple weeks ago are still there, hanging out with the Mallards. They
look so tiny in comparison!

At one point I heard what sounded like a fairly typical "pee-yee, pee-yer"
sequence of a pewee coming from up above me. The tonal quality was a little
off, but it was close enough that I started getting excited, thinking I had
found an out-of-season pewee. Turned out to be a goldfinch. I've never heard a
goldfinch give a call like that before.

And I have to say, I think Murfree Spring Wetland may be the best place in the
state to reliably find Winter Wrens :-)

Full list from eBird is attached below.

Daniel