[TN-Bird] Re: Murfree Spring Wetland - odd [Yellow-bellied?] flycatcher

  • From: Terry Witt <terrywitt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hyla514@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2011 15:01:52 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Daniel

I have seen YB Flycatcher in Mboro a few times but not at Discovery Center yet.
 It is a rare to uncommon migrant around here, though part of that may be due
difficulty in identifying silent birds, and the fact that it is frequently
rather difficult to see well.  In addition, most singing birds are seen in
spring, and are late migrants when there are fewer birders in the field.  The
habitat at Discovery Center does offer a fine place for one to show up, and
sooner or later I expect to see one there.  I have seen Willow, Least, and
Olive-sided there in the past.   In addition, there is an old record from
Nashville for YB Flycatcher from August 8!  What I don't like is the
vocalization.  YB Flycatcher gives a call not unlike a Least Flycatcher, a 2
note Chbek, not quite as abrupt.  The song is reminiscent of the first past of
Wood Pewee.  Neither of these match at all what you heard, I don't have a clue
as to your birds identity.  Perhaps someone else may offer an idea

Cheers

Terry Witt

Murfreesboro Tn