[TN-Bird] Murfree Spring Wetland - Duck ID help?

  • From: Daniel Estabrooks <hyla514@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 3 Dec 2011 14:40:22 -0800 (PST)

Murfree Spring Wetland
Rutherford County
12-3-11

I spent about 10 minutes this afternoon watching a pair of female ducks that
have gotten me thoroughly confused. Their plumage was generally similar to that
of a female Mallard (including a very bold dark eye stripe), but their bills
were solid black, and they were noticeably smaller than some Mallards that were
nearby. They also didn't appear to have as much white in the tail as a Mallard
typically would. My first guess was Blue-winged Teal, but the eye stripe seemed
too big and bold and I wouldn't expect them to be here this late. And they
seemed to be too small and pale to be American Black Ducks.

Unfortunately I had no way of taking photos, but hopefully this is enough
information for someone with more knowledge than me to at least have an idea :-)

On another note, this was the first time I've ever been to the wetland and not
seen at least one Wood Duck. So sad.

Daniel