[tn-bird] Re: Movement North III

  • From: OLCOOT1@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 6 May 2002 19:55:32 EDT

Treasure Island was owned by one individual at one time. Twelve years ago I
was invited to a get together on the island. At that time it was used as a
hunting club and was regularly patrolled. There is a large Turkey population
on the island that frequently crosses over to Presidents Island and Ensley
Bottoms. One day I counted 120 plus walking single file down the shore on the
south east side. That is the second largest congregation of turkeys I've ever
seen. I have boated around it a few times when we were going out to check the
sandbars and behind Josie Harry Bar, but I've never birdied on the island
except from the bank. A lot of people use the sand beaches during the summer.
I'm sure the people at McKellar Boat Dock could give you up to date info on
owner and restrictions. I find I can get permission to bird a lot of places
by just tracking down and talking to an owner.

Jeff