[tn-bird] Re: Movement North III

  • From: Robert <rwf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 28 Apr 2002 14:52:35 -0500

OLCOOT1@xxxxxxx wrote:
 > ...President's Island held multitudes of adult and
 > young Morning Doves and a few Turkeys plus
 > Grasshopper Sparrows....

Jeff's e-mail convinced me to visit President's Island
in Shelby County, TN. It is really just a peninsula
which extends into the Mississippi River. It is heavy
industry on the one side and almost complete
wilderness on the other.

We started off noticing the multitude of Mourning Doves,
hard not to notice. They were everywhere, perched on wires
and in trees, strutting up and down the road and crouching
in the fallow fields. I saw a Northern Harrier, soaring
effortlessly, circling slowly overhead. I figure he wanted
something in a dove for lunch. That was the first Northern
Harrier I had identified for myself.

We pushed though some trees and elbowed our way past a female
White-Tailed Deer. We had spooked her and she froze about
fifty feet from us. We froze with binoculars aimed at the
deer. It was a stand-off. Then, the White-Tailed Deer
leaped into the forest.

We found a tiny Yellow-rumped Warbler hiding in a bush.
After searching about four minutes we got a real good look
at it and then found it in the field guide.

There was a Hooded Warbler making a lot of noise high up in
another tree. I can't identify anything by sound yet, so we
searched with binoculars for ten minutes till we saw him.
Very yellow, I must say.

Saw my first Gray Catbird ever. One more for the Life List.
Completely gray with a black toupee. He was much more hidden
than even the Yellow-rumped Warbler we had seen.

We drove around thru the industrial side of President's Island
and found a black-masked Loggerhead Shrike, gathering nesting
material. We tried to follow it to the nest, but couldn't
follow down the side of the bank toward the River.

Saw a Kingbird with his black golf visor, perched up high on
a wire, scoping out juicy insects to eat. He was in competition
for insects with a Bank Swallow we saw.

We came out of the woods with two ticks on us and five new
birds added to my Life List. We had a really enjoyable day
on President's Island.

Robert Fowler
Memphis TN
Shelby County