[TN-Bird] Mourning Warbler new species for Shady Valley

  • From: "Wallace Coffey" <jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "TN-birds" <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 22 May 2005 22:42:10 -0400

Today (5/22) I found a second year male MOURNING WARBLER near the edge of
Orchard Bog in Shady Valley, Johnson County, TN.  This is a new species for
Shady Valley !
The bird was feeding in low trees in the tiny grove just across Orchard Road
from the Woods-Scott Cemetery sign before you get to the driveway entrance to
Orchard Bog. The elevation is about 2,800 feet.

The bird was immediately recognized by the yellow throat and diagnostic
partially black breast mark just in front and slightly below the bend of the
wing.  I watched it in good light for about 15 minutes and also was able to get
several nice looks thru a 30X scope.

A single adult CLIFF SWALLOW was found flying along Beaverdam Stream and
underneath the U.S. 421 bridge that crosses the stream in Shady Valley.  We
have three nests there and one is believed to be a previous season nest.  We
have never seen the species at the bridge/nesting site during the breeding
season.  Today was a first !  This is probably Tennessee's higest elevation
nesting record for the Cliff Swallow.

Two apparent male LEAST FLYCATCHERS were calling in the area.  One was in this
same grove of trees and a second in the long, young woodlot strip at the edge
of Quarry Bog.  This is the fourth consecutive year we have had birds here in
late May and until mid to late June.  There has to be a nest somewhere.

Let's go birding.....

Wallace Coffey
Bristol, TN