[tn-bird] Mourning + Knot + Knots

  • From: OLCOOT1@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2002 09:07:12 EDT

Sept. 11, 2002
Eagle Lake, MS River
and Ensley Bottoms
Shelby Co. TN.

I'm working pretty hard to keep up with the migration and looking for the
expected.
A day break at Eagle Lake produced the last regularly occurring warbler I
needed for my TN list this year. A male Mourning was found in the far
northwest back corner at the creek crossing. There were 6 species of warblers
but the Mourning was the main objective.

I hurried to the Mud Island overlook, no shorebirds but a little activity
along the tern line with Forster's, Caspian and Least straggling by in the
early morning sun. I hit the traffic and got to my meeting at 9:15 and
started south to the pits at 4:30 PM.

The numbers there have definitely declined but still more than one can look
at in a short period of time. I was particularly interested in finding a
short legged, football type shorebird in the mix of Lesser Yellowlegs. After
an hour, bingo a single immature Red Knot photograph was in my digital
camera. The bird was feeding in the upper settling pit with about 15 Lesser
Yellowlegs.

There were few Semipalmated Sandpipers left and a handful of Western with the
basic plumaged bird still present. Only 6 Buff-breasted could be located and
the Baird's number is now 5. Just 15 species of wind birds but one very
special bird in the mix.

I decided to try Mud Island again for late travelers and sure enough a group
of 4 Red Knots settled in on the sandbar for a rest. The Knots are moving,
that's for sure. Anyone in the Pace Point area should be looking out for them
along with Sabine's Gull. The time is ripe for exciting discoveries.........

Good Birding!!!

Jeff R. Wilson
OL' COOT / TLBA
Bartlett Tenn.