[TN-Bird] Mottled duck

  • From: "Nancy Moore" <jaybird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "TN-BIRD" <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2004 10:34:44 -0500

I am glad I finally headed South to Ensley Bottoms to look for the Mottled
Duck.  Wish it had not been so windy.  When I arrived at the TVA lake  I was
able to quickly find a darker bird amongst the Mallards. Unfortunately it was
asleep facing away from me. Occasionally, it would lift its head and look
around and go back to sleep. A Mallard Hen kept coming and standing in front of
the dark duck and block my view.  Finally, the Mallard hen just came up to the
dark duck and took its bill and head and shooed the Mottled duck away and then
it decided to move about and then go for a swim and bathe.  Was able to get
great looks at the field marks.  Very apparant the bird was darker and the
pattern on the feathers was so obvious.  The olive yellow bill and dark spot on
the gape was easily seen .  And once it started moving about and preening I was
able to see the color of the speculum . I was approached by the The security
from the TVA steam plant. She was pleasant and asked what I was doing and if I
was taking any pictures.  She said as long as I was not taking pics it was ok
to be there.  She said she was being more lenient now on the birders.  After
Jeff arrived we went over to the  Earth Complex and had great looks at the
Western SP, Stilt SP. an abundance of Least SP and finding the Bairds and then
the Buff Breasted was a real treat. We had a Broad wing hawk fly over.  Had
seen the rats on the Island on a previous visit and its nice to know now that
GReat Blues include them in their diet.  The Earth Complex is a marvelous place
to look at Shore birds.
Endsley Bottoms
TVA Lake
Shelby Co