[TN-Bird] Mottled Duck and Ensley Shorebirds

  • From: OLCOOT1@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2004 20:38:47 EDT

Sept. 7, 2004
Ensley Bottoms
Shelby Co. TN

I got a call from Nancy Moore and she had the Mottled Duck sleeping in with
the Mallards at 2:30 this afternoon. I had been thinking all day that I would
like to see what the 30+mph winds might have brought in today so what better
excuse to skip out on work?

Nancy had been pretty sure the very dark bird was the Mottled and watched
until the bird was disturbed and raised its head. Solid olive yellow bill with
black spot on gape, bingo Mottled Duck.

I got down about 45 minutes later and we had some more nice study looks and
then we made a couple of quick circuits of the pits. The turnover of wind birds
was evident right off the bat as the single Stilt Sandpiper was now 20,
numbers of Lesser Yellowlegs were flying about. Western and Semipalmated still
decline but we were teated to nice looks at both in varied plumages and bill
sizes. Six Baird's Sandpipers, all in bright fresh juvenile plumage were
another
treat but when we were flashed head on by an upright Buff-breasted that was the
big treat of the afternoon.

When I left at 6:15 the Mottled Duck was no where to be seen. This bird moves
in and out of the TVA Lake on a random schedule so you just have to go back
again and again and hope it has gotten its fill or was flushed back out of
McKellar Lake and is taking a siesta on one of your visits. She has been
present
over a week now.

Good Birding!!!

Jeff R. Wilson