[TN-Bird] More great waterfowl at Cove Lake St Pk TN

  • From: "jimimoore@xxxxxxxx" <jimimoore@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2008 00:25:42 GMT

Cove Lake State Park    Campbell County, TN    North of Knoxville
As is my "tradition"  with fast moving  fronts of any sort, especially snow and
high winds moving in, I made a quick run through Cove Lake State Park late
afternoon.
There was a huge raft of ducks close to the viewing tower where I immediately
noticed some very "white" ducks among the group. I thought at first glance
through the sleet that they might  be the Common Mergansers still present I
found last weekend, however quickly realized how much smaller they were.
There were  (6)   COMMON GOLDENEYES   -  2  being handsome males and 4 females
What an exciting find to me!
A nice mix of diving ducks were present, many being first sightings at the park
this Winter season  - Canvasback/  Lesser Scaup/ (30+)  Ring Necked Duck (16) /
Redhead  (8)  1  Ruddy Duck / a couple Canvasbacks   as well as the usual
dabblers -Mallards. and Gadwall  along with (9) Northern Pintail~   (2)
Green-winged Teal and 1  American Widgeon  around the edges.  The lake has
filled in quite nicely with the recent rains, so the diving ducks seemed happy.
 I know I was!  What a great species for me for East TN., as well as a first
record  for Cove Lake St. Pk.  to add to the  checklist I compiled for the park.
However, the moment was short lived as an Immature Eagle took a swoop at the
group and they scattered to other parts of the lake. They were last seen on the
far side near the interstate.
This has been a "strange" season for Cove this year, as the lake was drained a
couple times to hopefully kill off the invasive millfoil algae.Due to this, I
have not seen a single American Coot even on the lake this winter. Just 3-5
years ago, there were 50-100 present each winter. The Eagles are fond of Coots,
so they have been rarely seen this winter either.
When I got home late afternoon with light sleet falling, the feeders were alive
with common yard species, as well as several Purple Finch and my first for this
winter Fox Sparrow.
Nell Moore        Caryville, TN   N. of Knoxville TN

                  EXCELLENT MAP RESOURCES