[TN-Bird] More from Hiawassee and Dayton area

  • From: <gaddy@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 7 Dec 2007 21:11:31 -0500

Nelson Bennett, Chris Mahoney, Dan Hicks of TWRA and I had a chance to visit
the Hiawassee Refuge this afternoon after a meeting. Per Dan Hicks, the TWRA
are estimating 20,000 Sandhill Cranes in the general area of the Refuge.
Large numbers are reported on the island and Armstrong Bend and we saw
several thousand at the viewing area this afternoon.  Per one of the
International Crane Foundation trackers, nine whooping cranes remained in
the general area today.  We saw two from the viewing area.  Still have 21
Snow Geese visible from the viewing area along with 11 Great Egrets and
variety of other water fowl including American Wigeon, Mallard, Hooded
Merganser, Lesser Scaup, Black Duck, Gadwall, and Ringed-bill gulls.  Also
had a Bob White fly across the access road to the refuge.

Spoke to an Operation Migration crew who had just put up the pen in
anticipation of the eventual arrival of the ultralight led migrating
Whooping Cranes.  As I understand it, the birds are in the Crossville area
with Hiawassee to be the next stop; however, the weather doesn't look
favorable for flight for a while.

Per Nelson Bennett, earlier in the afternoon he saw 4 Golden Eagles at
White's Creek about 5 miles north of Spring City.  While Golden Eagles were
hacked near Hiawasse Refuge for several years, sightings have been scarce in
recent years.  It would be good if birds started returning to the area to
nest.

Nelson also reported a rarity for December, three calling loons.

Danny Gaddy

Ringgold Georgia

                  EXCELLENT MAP RESOURCES