[TN-Bird] More excitment--red-tailed hawk on deck!!!!

  • From: Dthomp2669@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2007 14:23:40 EST

Hello again,

What an even more fabulous birdy day here in the Charlotte Park  section of
West Nashville!  I was at my computer and heard a noise ( a thud  -- it hit
hard) on the deck, looked out the French doors, and an immature  red-tailed
hawk
had landed.  It was HUGE.  I grabbed the camera, and  it flew, but only up to
the power wires beside the deck.  I silently  cracked the door, zoomed the
lens and got off three pretty good photos before  the screaming blue jays
attacked and chased it away!  The  hawk left seven or so breast-type feathers
on the
deck, so it must have  made a hard landing.  I've taken photos of the feathers
where they were  left.  It had no prey, so I guess this young bird is still
learning to  hunt.  It is so young that it has NO reddish color in its tail
yet.   It probably came from one of the nests in Bell's Bend which is only a
couple of  blocks and the Cumberland River away as the birds fly. What a day
this
has been  for birds!!!!!   Phenomenal!

I've had Cooper's hawks and sparrow hawks land on my deck before, but this
is the first time I have ever SEEN a red-tail actually "hit the deck!"   I've
sent photos of my Cooper's to many people who requested them.  Didn't  get the
sparrow hawk when it came flying right up to the French door jamb in  quest of
a sparrow then was gone in a flash.  Got him on top of a utility  pole eating
the sparrow he snatched at the door.

Unfortunately, I have forgotten how to "load" my photos on the computer due
to the short-term memory loss I have from my stroke.  When I can get the
computer and digi-card to my computer expert and get them loaded, I'll send the

photos.  It may be a while.  I still have difficulty carrying my lap  top
computer due to a loss of strength.

Who needs to go out birding when one has this much excitement at home in  one
day?  Of course, I am always "game" to go for a lifer if VERY LITTLE
exertion is involved on my part.  I AM still weaker than I'd like to have  to
admit,
but I still DO enjoy my birding!

Great wishes for great birds for you al,
,
Dee Thompson
Nashville, TN

                  EXCELLENT MAP RESOURCES