[TN-Bird] More Yard Birds

  • From: eyesew@xxxxxxxxx (Virginia Curtis)
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 21:19:15 -0500

The past two days we've had several new warblers passing through our
yard - Chestnut-sided, Yellow-throated, Black & White and Canada.  In
addition we've seen Warbling Vireo, Baltimore Orioles, and American
Kestrel.  So far in August we've had 72 yard birds.

For those who inquired about the Brewster's Warbler we saw last Friday,
it was the one Sibley calls a Backcross and was identical to the picture
in his book.  It first popped out right in front of us as we sat on the
deck and was at eye level about 25 feet away.  It foraged there for
about 30 seconds, then made two trips parallel to the deck to bushes
near our water source where it sat for several seconds.  It went back to
the original site, foraged again, moved to a tree about 50 feet away and
stayed for a while. Altogether it was in view for at least 3 minutes and
we had excellent looks - white throat and underneath, narrow black eye
stripe, golden head and two golden wing bars.  It was the best we've
ever seen this species - we followed one on a back road in the
Adirondacks a few years back and had lots of looks but from underneath.
This one was gorgeous.  We're just sorry we were so enthralled with
watching that we forgot to get photos.

Tommy & Virginia Curtis
Smithville, TN
DeKalb County