[TN-Bird] More New Arrivals & Florida Tally

  • From: "Roy Turrentine" <roymel@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2004 19:14:37 -0500

We had our first Chimney Swifts and Common Yellowthroats today in the Wartrace
area of Bedford CO.
Blue-gray gnatcatchers have been here about 2 weeks...

A friend just called and reported he had a FLOCK of orchard orioles at a rest
area in Alabama somewhere...he was pretty impressed since he had never seen
them in such a flock (& neither have I)...he & his wife had been on the Bird
Banding spree in Alabama...I assume with the Seargents (?)...

While on a birding trip to Florida in the St. Mark's NWR area, we were excited
to have a trip total of 140 different birds. We met friends Kay & Ralph
Brinkhurst & had a wonderful time birding. Our recommendations, if traveling to
the area, include St. Mark's, of course, Wakulla- the last pontoon boat trip is
nice, especially if you have fewer people...this proved to be a big plus (we
saw yellow-crowned night heron nests because we were a small crew)...Mashes
Sands, Alligator Point, St Joseph's & St George, & Ochlockonee State Park. We
did not have any life birds but everything was a treat- from the skimmers
skimming to the whimbrel...

Melissa Turrentine
Bedford CO TN