[tn-bird] More MOURNING & CONNECTICUT Radnor sightings

  • From: Frank Fekel <fekel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 20 May 2002 12:20:45 -0500 (CDT)

Monday, 20 May:

It appears that news of warbler migrants of the past several days
has induce a wave of birder migrants from surrounding states to converge
on Radnor Lake.

The bonanza of CONNECTICUT and MOURNING WARBLER sightings continued
today.  Lorna West from Opelika, Alabama drove 6 hours to get to
Radnor and spent much of yesterday, searching for our friendly visitors
without seeing any.  Today Carrie Dortch and I escorted her, hoping to
improve her chances.

Linda Kelly joined our party, and we heard a CONNECTICUT just past the
deck along the Lake Trail.  Unfortunately, Linda had to leave after
a few minutes of waiting.  A half hour of frustration later, I
decided to split us up and continued on, looking for other possibilities.
Farther along the trail at the "Artist and Teacher" bench, another
CONNECTICUT was calling within 10 feet of the trail.  A walkie-talkie
call brought Lorna to the site in short order, while Carrie remained at
the previous area.  After several minutes more of frustration, Lorna got
her life sighting of a CONNECTICUT, and what a sighting it was.  The bird
finally sat in the open and sang and sang.  In fact it was there so long
that a call to Carrie back at the other site enabled her to arrive and get
good looks at the bird as well.

Such a sighting would be hard to top, but we tried.  We walked to Long
Bridge where we found Sharon Monroe looking at a calling MOURNING WARBLER
behind the bench.  It managed to pop up long enough for Lorna and Carrie
to BOTH get their life MOURNING WARBLER sightings.  We stayed at Long
Bridge for a while longer but the MOURNING stopped calling and
disappeared.  If we had been 5 minutes later, we would have missed it.

By the time we left the Long Bridge area, Sharon Monroe had beaten us back
to our CONNECTICUT spot, where the warbler continued to call.  After
a minute or two Lorna spotted it, and we got a second protracted view of
this bird singing its heart out.  Today, the confluence of Sharon's karma
and ours produced wonderful sightings.

As we continued our way back to the West Parking Lot, a husband and wife
birders from Kentucky approached, and I led them back to the CONNECTICUT
spot.  On the way I warned them they might have to wait a while to see
the bird.  However, it proved me wrong in a big way, and the two birders
heard it and saw it almost immediately.  What a decadent sighting.

It was close to 10 am before I finally was able to tear myself away
from Radnor and report for work.  Just another beautiful day.

We did NOT see or hear a YELLOW-BELLIED FLYCATCHER today.

Other birds today at Radnor include
Philadelphia Vireo 4
Blackburnian Warbler 1
Canada Warbler 2
Chestnut-sided Warbler 1
Magnolia 4
Blackpoll  1

Frank Fekel
Tennessee State University
Center of Excellence in Information Systems
330 10th Avenue North
Nashville, TN 37203  USA