[tn-bird] Re: More Hummers

  • From: RubyThroat@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 1 Oct 2002 20:57:12 EDT

In a message dated 10/1/02 11:41:15 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
bwilbur@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:

> Question:  How does one clearly differentiate the immature rufous from an
> immature ruby-throat??  I have an immature that is much more aggressive
> that any others, appears to be a bit "chunkier."  Hmmm??
>
> Currently I have 6-8 hummers and my sister here in Clarksville has 12 or
> more.  They're really tanking up today!!
>
> Barbara Wilbur
> Clarksville, TN

Barbara
Look for rufous color in the tail feathers.  If it has it, it could be
Rufous, Allen's or Broad-tailed.  If it does not have it, you can almost
certainly bet the farm it is a fat Ruby-throated.  The vocalizations are
TOTALLY different.  This should stand out like a sore thumb if the subject
bird is vocalizing.  They often can be silent, even when confronted by a
horde of Ruby-throated.

Bless all.

Bob Sargent
Trussville, Alabama