[TN-Bird] Re: More Crane News

  • From: "Wallace Coffey" <jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "TN-birds" <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2008 13:20:42 -0400

David Aborn and others on the list:

It is very gratifying to see the recommendations you will be making to TWRA.

We may be in for the fight of our life over hunting vs. cranes in Tennessee.

It may be a highly-charged political fight and it may be a very expensive
and
a costly battle.  Neither TWRA nor the rest of us will come out a winner.
But the
fight will entrench these issues.  TWRA has not shown good faith with the
birding/conservation community in this state.  They have spent their good
judgment equity which they had so richly built up in the Bob Hatcher days.

We have been misled by TWRA.  They stripped Ken Dubke of his soul with
the carne festival.  They effectively took it over and booted him out.  We
will
all bleed with him for a long lot of years.  The only possible way that I
can
imagine that TWRA can salvage and save an enormously bitter battle and
significant political erosion, is to tone down the "hunter pays the bills
and the
birders don't" rhetoric as well as quickly salvage anything and everything
in
this winter's crane activities at Hiawassee, both from a management and
public relations standpoint.  If they do not put that event back on the
front
burner and make it the biggest and best, then they send us a signal they
consider it an important pawn in their cheap seat view.  We will know by
spring whether we are left with a few minor skirmishes with TWRA or if we
face all out warfare.  TWRA controls their own destiny.  We hold a
valuable stake in the quality of their future non-game public support.  We
were moving forward in harmony and peace with a great partnership with
TWRA until they began this cheap political ploy and jerked the rug out from
under the crane days and Ken Dubke's involvement.

It TWRA wants to develop a discussion with the non-game community about
whatever future they foresee,  they need to come forward quickly and begin
the exchange without threatening the things we value and the respect they
owe birders in this state.

When TWRA began this aggressive approach, they chose to have Bob Hodge
of the Knoxville News-Sentinel plant the seed as the agency jockeyed
for the right time to pull the trigger.  It was a most unfortunate ploy and
one
which TWRA can learn a lifetime lesson from.

Here is a hint:  TWRA cannot deal with us with their traditional approaches
they use with coon hunters and bear hunters.  They had best sophisticate
their lines of communications and approach this on a higher intellectual
scale.

They cannot trample the crane festival at Hiawassee in the name of
responsible wildlife management and then invite the public to cooperate.

Wallace Coffey
Bristol, TN