[TN-Bird] Monroe Co. Immature White Ibises, Little Blue Herons

  • From: Marcia Davis <tennwren@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2010 21:09:08 -0400

Bob Plemons pf Tellico Plains phoned me Monday, July 19, about two
unusual birds he saw that morning near Vonore in Monroe County. He
emailed photos of birds that looked like immature White Ibises.  Tony
King of Lenoir City went to check on them Monday afternoon and confirmed
they were immature White Ibises. The birds are dark brown juveniles with
white underparts. The bills and legs appear to still be dark instead of
pinkish.

I went this morning, July 21, with Jim Rome and met Bob Plemons there.
We saw 1 immature white ibis, 5 little blue herons (white plumage) and 2
great egrets in a large wetland area southeast of Vonore.

We got lost at least 4 times getting there. Most of the street signs in
the area have been vandalized. When we finally found the site we saw
Bob's black truck on the opposite side of the wetlands, called him on
the phone and he drove around to meet us.

Directions: From Hwy 411 in Vonore take Hwy 360 southeast for 7.2 miles.
You will pass a road sign about the Indian monuments and water will be
on your right just before Hwy 360 makes a hard right dogleg turn at 7.2
miles. At the hard right turn continue straight instead of staying on
Hwy 360. You will leave Hwy 360 and be on Citico Road. There's no road sign.

Continue 5.1 miles on Citico Road and turn left onto Bacon Ferry Road.
The street sign is missing but there is a wildlife area sign. At 0.7
miles you will pass Tanasi Indian Monument on your left. Go another 0.5
miles and turn right on a gravel road with a wildlife area closed dates
sign. This is the only road to the right.

Follow the gravel road about 1.3 miles. The open wetlands area where we
saw 1 ibis and the other birds this morning will be on your left. The
ibis was in an area of shorter grasses edged by dark green cord grass
about 100 yards out from the road.

The gravel road continues around to the opposite side of the wetland.
There are several places to stop and look from the road. A vehicle with
high clearance would be best as there are ruts and puddles.
--
Marcia Davis
Knoxville, Tenn.

               Assistant Moderator Chris O'Bryan