[TN-Bird] Mississippi River Traffic / Ensley

  • From: OLCOOT1@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2006 08:16:16 EDT

Oct. 14, 2006
Dacus Bar - Ensley Bottoms
Shelby Co. TN

The first birds I saw when arriving on Mud Island were a group of 4 dark
ducks with turned up tails, lazily floating down the river. On the 16 th last
year, I photographed 2 Surf Scoters and a single Black Scoter and now there
were
 4 Black Scoters in my view, my high number for TN at one time. Other ducks
taking the slow route south were, 3 Lesser Scaup, 3 Ring-necked, my first
divers  of the season. Mallards, Shoveler, Gadwall were seen in good numbers
with
pods  of American Coots constantly floating by.

Last Saturday, the swallow flocks consisted of hundreds of Rough-winged, a
half dozen Barn and about 20 Tree, while this week there are still good numbers
 of Rough-winged but only one Barn. Still looking for more Cave Swallows, the
 time is still right.

Almost as fast as the river rose 16 feet it has fallen now back to below
zero and birds were taking advantage of the exposed sandbars. Last weekend,
hundreds of White Pelicans wheeled in the sky flashing white and black then
disappearing only to flash on and off again. A group of a hundred or so have
taken
to laying about on Dacus Bar along with a few DC Cormorants. A few Great
Egrets and Great Blue Herons hunt the shallow edges and rock dikes. A couple of

groups of shorebirds that appeared to be Least SP came in for short stays
along  with a ziggy Wilson's Snipe.

At the Pits, the Least Sandpipers seemed to have increased in numbers while
the 30+ Lesser Yellowlegs continue to feed in the back pond along with one or
sometimes two Solitary Sandpipers. A single immature Baird's Sandpiper has
been present in one area now for almost 2 weeks. It is a smooth looking
immature. Two hours of scanning the thousands of Least Sandpipers produced only
 1
Western Sandpiper in full basic plumage and 2 Wilson's Snipe.

Good Birding  !!!

Jeff R. Wilson / TLBA
6298 Memphis-Arlington Road
Bartlett, TN  38135