[TN-Bird] Mississippi River - Memphis

  • From: OLCOOT1@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2005 08:59:45 EST

Dec. 7, 2005
Mud Island, TVA Lake
Robco Lake - Shelby Co. TN

A quick but late trip to a few duck places Wednesday just whet my appetite
for more. At Mud Island there were a few interested ducks and gulls. One small
duck had me confused as it slept and floated with a small mixed group. The
bird  was smaller than the Goldeneyes, same size but slimmer than the scaup and
just  slightly larger than the Buffleheads but had all the markings of a
Red-breasted  Merganser. Just a runt, but female Smew did run through my mind
and
if it had a  black bill, I'd have been scrambling for a photo. Interesting
study. There were  40 plus Ring-billed Gulls and a single Bonaparte's loafing
and
hunting.

At TVA Lake, there was quite a mix with a few thousand scaup of both
species, Redheads, Canvasback, Gadwall, Mallard, Shoveler, Ring-necked, Ruddy
and 2
pair of Goldeneye. There were also coots, Pied-billed Grebes, DC  Cormorants
and lots of Ring-billed and a few Bonaparte's Gulls.

I was not expecting what I found just at dusk on Robco Lake, it was covered
with ducks, many, many thousands of scaup plus DC Cormorants and masses of
gulls. It was too late to do much but this bunch will take some time to sort
through. The birds pushed south by the snow to the north should provided some
goodies for the up coming CBC's.