[TN-Bird] Mississippi Kite nest, Haywood County - a few details

  • From: "Ford, Robert" <robert_p_ford@xxxxxxx>
  • To: Tennessee Birds <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2014 11:11:51 -0400

Hatchie NWR, Haywood County TN
May 31 and June 1, 2014

Mississipi Kite nest found May 30 morning - in a sweetgum, nest is about 90
feet high in a 110 foot tall sweetgum (my estimates).  Located in heavy
forest, but the nest tree is on the bank of the Hatchie River and within 10
yards of a seldom used, narrow gravel road.  The nest tree is the tallest
tree in a 50 yard by 50 yard area, and the actual nest is about the height
of the tops of the adjacent trees.

May 30 morning, 2 adults were attending the nest, one adult appeared to be
arranging the nest structure on the inside of the nest, a different adult
brought an unidentified object to the nest - which appeared (and based on
following observations) to be nest material, not food.  The object was
dropped in the nest, and it appeared one adult moved it around and
continued to be adjusting the inside of the nest.

Subsequent observations on June 1 (limited as to not disturb the birds),
had one adult sitting on the nest, not moving.  The other adult would show
up occasionally and perch nearby.

I'm assuming, based on above, that the nest has eggs - Hoping I (or
someone?) can check on the nest at times, maybe confirm a date for young in
nest or fledglings, then we can back track the dates to estimate egg laying.

Picture (poor quality, sorry) attached.

Bob Ford
Haywood County TN