[TN-Bird] Miscellaneous Bird Encounters

  • From: OLCOOT1@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 7 Apr 2004 00:08:13 EDT

April 3-4, 2004
Memphis to Dyer Co. along the Mississippi

The Bald Eagle nest inside the Memphis City limits evidently has not hatched
young as of Saturday, a bird sat tight on the nest for over an hour. A pair of
Bald Eagles came from an area southeast of the Lower Hatchie Refuge in
Lauderdale Co. and hunted the area. One finally took one of their favorite menu
items, a Coot, and both disappeared. Are they feeding young nearby?

A Leucistic hen Shoveler Duck was seen at Lower Hatchie.

At Lower Hatchie NWR, a large group of Savannah Sparrows were popping in and
out of a patch of new growth vetch. I sneaked to a good vantage point and
observed their antics and much to my surprise I had 3 different LeConte's
Sparrows
in the mix. Two sat up long enough for photos.

West of Bogota in Dyer Co. I noticed a lot of small birds in some short 10-12
foot shrubs along the roadside. Most were various sparrows but 3 birds just
did not scan and had me baffled until I got pretty close. American Pipits are
not seen too often perched in trees or at least by this birder, I think this is
only the third time I've seen this. It always pays to check out something
that just looks different. The shot of one of these "Tree" Pipits will make a
good quiz photo.

Good Birding!!!

Jeff R. Wilson
OL'COOT / TLBA