[TN-Bird] Middle TN highlights, 25 May 12

  • From: Scott Somershoe <Scott.Somershoe@xxxxxx>
  • To: TN-Birds <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 26 May 2012 01:18:10 +0000

I covered a lot of ground today and checked a lot off the "to-do" list.  A few
notes:

Bark Camp Barrens WMA, Coffee Co.
Mourning Warbler -1 singing bird that was very close, but I never saw it.

Little Elder Island, Woods Reservoir, Franklin Co.
7 species of nesting wading birds, plus a Green Heron that was hanging out
looking suspicious
I had the usual great blues, cormorants, and great egrets (7 nests), plus:
Black-crowned Night-Heron - 19 nests, some fledglings were running around and
one second year bird was stalking the low branches
Cattle Egret - 320+ nests, a few had small young. A few birds were still in
high breeding plumage (gorgeous birds!), displaying to the ladies, and some
mating was occurring.
Little Blue Heron - 24 adults (1 callico bird), 10 nests found, some had eggs,
some had chicks
Snowy Egret - 4 adults, 1 bird on a nest, while a pair in high breeding plumage
were courting, passing sticks back and forth.

Nashville Shores, Davidson Co.
Semipalmated Sandpiper - 1 lone bird on the muddy shoreline (thanks to the low
water)

Good birds on a hot day.

Cheers,
Scott Somershoe