[TN-Bird] Middle TN Birding

  • From: Evan Buck <evanbuck64@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TN-Bird <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2015 21:31:04 -0600

My sister Sophie and I birded Hamilton Creek Rec Area on Percy Priest Lake,
Middle Point Landfill in Murfreesboro, and Brumalow Creek on Woods
Reservoir today. Highlights included six species of gulls for the day and
great looks at a Pacific Loon at Brumalow Creek.

We arrived at Hamilton Creek Rec. Area around 8:30 A.M. Rick Houlk had been
there since dawn and hadn't seen either the Western Grebe or the
Red-throated Loon. We scoped the marina area for about an hour and didn't
find either bird.

Next we went to Middle Point Landfill, arriving around 11:10 A.M. Bruce
Dralle found the Iceland Gull; a little later the Lesser Black-backed Gull
was also found, as noted by Bruce Dralle in his post earlier today.

After seeing Frank Fekel's post about the Little Gull, we drove down to
Brumalow Creek, arriving at 1:50 P.M. One of the first birds I got in my
scope was a nice Pacific Loon directly out from the dock. Sophie and I both
got stunning looks at it. I quickly located the Little Gull feeding with a
group of Bonaparte's Gulls. I called Bruce Dralle and Rick Houlk who were
both in the vicinity, and were able to come over. They both were able to
see the Little Gull, but we were unable to relocate the Pacific Loon.
Thanks to Frank Fekel for the post on the Little Gull!

Here is a link to my Flickr account. I posted a photo of the Pacific Loon
and a couple of the Little Gull:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/111824724@N02/

Evan Buck
Lincoln County