[TN-Bird] Middle Prong trail, GRSMNP

  • From: Charlie <cmmbirds@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: kris_johnson@xxxxxxx, TN-Bird <TN-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 26 Apr 2003 14:29:15 -0700 (PDT)

Hi folks,

Today I co-led a hike along the Middle Prong Trail in Great Smoky
Mountains National Park, Blount County, TN.  The trail can be reached
from the southern most point of Tremont Road.  Just follow the trail
of horse dung...

This was a hike to study, ahem, well,  waterfall geology, but I just,
er, *happened* to have my bins with me.  You see, there is a raven
nest near the falls, so that is, well, like kinda waterfall biology,
right?

Highlights of the trip included:
First of Season (for me) ACADIAN FLYCATCHER, BLACK-THROATED BLUE
WARBLER AMERICAN REDSTART and BLACKBURNIAN WARBLER.

Though it is too leafed out now to see the COMMON RAVEN nest, we did
see one bird leave VERY quietly from the location of the nest, and
had a second flyover at the same time in the opposite direction.  Not
conclusive proof that the nest is being used again this year, but it
looks like decent evidence.  I believe (and please correct me if I'm
wrong, somone!) that Allan Trently first found this nest about 5
years ago?  He and David were nice enough to let me know about it 2
years ago.  It's kinda lame that it took me this late in the season
to check it this year, but that's the way things sometimes happen.

Warblers, in addition to the above:
Louisiana Waterthrush
Black-throated Green
Northern Parula
Ovenbird
Black-and-white
Yellow-throated

Also:
Scarlett Tanager
Red-eyed Vireo
blue-headed Vireo
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher

Not bad for a gray day of, um, waterfall study.

Good day!

charlie

ps - sign up for the spring meeting NOW!!!  You don't want to miss
the great field trips, wonderful cameraderie and Chan Robbins talk.

And we have a new addition:  Dr. Fred Alsop will be on hand to sing
some books!  Wait until you see what our door prizes will be...

=====
Charlie Muise, Senior Naturalist
Great Smoky Mountains Institute at Tremont
Townsend, TN  lat 35 deg, 38'23"  long 83 deg, 41'22"

"Up, Sluggard, and waste not life; in the grave will be sleeping enough"
 - Ben Frankline, Poor Richard's Almanac