[TN-Bird] Merlin on Old Hickory Lake

  • From: "fekel" <fekel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2011 13:38:54 -0600

Sanders Ferry Park
Old Hickory Lake
Hendersonville, TN
2010 Jan. 22
10:10-11:00 am
cold, partly cloudy

With secondary roads still partly ice covered I decided to stay
close to Nashville today.  Even so I encountered ice here and
there as I drove around in some areas.

I went back to Old Hickory Lake today and made a quick search
for the mixed blackbird flock that had the YELLOW-HEADED
BLACKBIRD from 2 weeks ago, but I did not see a significant
blackbird flock in the area.  A quick visit to Old Hickory
Lake dam produced nothing particularly unusual so I decided
to drive around the lake to Walton Ferry Road and then
Sanders Ferry Road.  I stopped at Sanders Ferry Park and
scanned from a couple different places.  At the boat ramp
I saw a distant perched accipeter/falcon on one of the
small islands to the left of the boat ramp.  It soon flew
past me to another nearby island and in my scope I got good
looks at what turned out to be a female MERLIN.  After a
couple brief flying forays it perched for a while and
eventually I wandered off to another part of the park.

There were two huge rafts of BONAPARTE'S GULLs on the
water.  One had at least 600 gulls in it, and I estimate
about 760 total.  Two COMMON LOONs and two BLACK-CROWNED
NIGHT-HERONs, one adult and one immature, rounded out
the list of interesting birds.

While I was at the boat ramp I saw decoy ducks next to
one of the nearby small islands and as a dozen MALLARDs
flew overhead, several hunters fired at them but apparently
missed.

Frank Fekel
Nashville, TN

               Assistant Moderator Chris O'Bryan