[TN-Bird] Merlin and Kestrels---AND WOODCOCKS

  • From: "Ruth Luckadoo" <luck@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2010 00:05:37 -0600

I enjoyed the report from Kelly Roy . It reminded me of a field trip several
years ago that I was doing for some new birders.  I located a Merlin in a tree
off of Knight's Church Rd in Franklin Co, Tn.  After everyone had taken several
good looks at the bird, I took one more look and saw a Kestrel.  Now, I'm
thinking to myself, "How could I mistake a Merlin for a Kestrel?-"--and did I
feel embarassed!  BUT after looking the tree over again, there sat the Merlin
with a Kestrel higher in the tree above it.  So I'm glad to hear of Kelly's
report of the Kestrels harassing the Merlin.
P.S.  The Highland Rim Chapter TOS had a successful Woodcock field trip, Tues.
23Feb10 on AEDC property--off Wattendorf Hwy., in fields with woods nearby--on
Tullahoma side of where Fire Tower used to be, but just a high metal tower with
blinking lights on top is there now.

The WOODCOCKS arrived at 5:45PM and took off shortly after---2 were visible
flying in and also in flight overhead---we heard 4 peenting before we
left--another good birding experience--this is an annual trip for our club.

Ruth Luckado
Tullahoma, Tn