[TN-Bird] Merlin, Vesper Sparrow (Greene Co., TN)

  • From: Don Miller <raincrow@xxxxxxx>
  • To: TN-Bird <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2003 20:44:07 -0500

Lick Creek Bottoms Wildlife Management Area
Greene Co., TN

Ponds were still frozen today, so I took the hint and opted for field
birding instead.  After failing to find much of interest at various
sites on and around North Mohawk Road in the western part of Greene
County, I chose to spend some time farther south at the Lick Creek
Bottoms WMA property located at Skinner Crossroads (intersection of
Highway 348, North Mohawk Road, and South Mohawk Road).

The choice turned out to be a good one, as I stumped up two Vesper
Sparrows and a Merlin--a couple of species that are quite uncommon in
winter in our area.  In checking my Greene County records, I discovered
that this was my first winter observation for Vesper Sparrow and only my
second for Merlin.  Also present in and around this LCBWMA unit were
Savannah Sparrow (36) and numerous flocks of icterids.  Most of the
latter flew by at considerable distance, so I was unable to scan them
effectively.  Nonetheless, I did find grackles, red-wings (large
number), and at least one cowbird.

Don Miller
Greeneville, TN